It’s 2018 and tomorrow I start a lifestyle change with a new diet, and you know what that means…the last supper, and this chicken and tortellini recipe make a great last supper.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, see my disclosure page here.
The new diet I will be following restricts carbs, so I knew I wanted to eat something naughty and carb loaded. I thought about a burger and fries but it didn’t appeal to me. Pizza came to mind, but it didn’t sound good enough either. It’s -21 degrees here in Wisconsin and I wanted something piping hot and saucy. Then it came to me…my recipe for tortellini with sun dried tomato cream sauce!
I love pasta. Who doesn’t? It’s so easy to make and so versatile! I threw together this recipe one day when I came home after work and hadn’t planned dinner. That usually means we’re having spaghetti because I can just throw it together and have a hot meal in a half hour or less. Usually, I make a tomato cream sauce but one night I noticed I had a random jar of sun dried tomatoes in the pantry so I thought I’d experiment with it. I left out the tomato sauce and added only the sun-dried tomatoes, kind of like a spin on an alfredo sauce. It turned out fantastic and is now one of my family’s favorite meals. It’s not the healthiest so I don’t make it often but it is nice to have occasionally, especially when it’s so cold out and we just want to eat and settle in for the night.
Tonight, I noticed I had a random can of small artichoke hearts in the pantry so I added them to this recipe. I also had chicken in the fridge that needed to be cooked so I added that as well. You will not be disappointed. It was so delicious and I definitely picked a good meal to have for the last supper.
This recipe is a fun one to experiment with. You could also add other things like mushrooms or spinach. Have fun with it! It’s a perfect recipe to make as a date, click here for more information on that!
Chicken & Tortellini with Sun Dried Tomato and Artichoke Cream Sauce
1 package of boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 package of tortellini, ravioli or gnocchi
1 seven-ounce jar of sun dried tomatoes in olive oil, drained and chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tablespoons of butter
15 ounces (can) of small artichoke hearts
1 ½ cups of milk
½ cup of heavy cream
½ cup of grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon corn starch
2 tablespoons milk
A handful of freshly chopped Italian parsley
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook the chicken first. Take each breast and cover it in all-purpose flour and shake off the excess. Place the chicken in a hot skillet with a tablespoon of butter and a splash of olive oil. I brown them for about 3 minutes on each side, then place the chicken in an oven safe dish and bake at 350 degrees for about a half hour or until the internal temperature reaches at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Save the oil in the skillet for later. Keep skillet on low.
3. While the chicken is baking, I make the pasta. Cook the pasta according to package directions.
4. While the pasta is cooking, add 1 tablespoon of butter to the oil/butter mixture you cooked the chicken in. Add the garlic and chopped sun dried tomatoes. Sauté on medium heat for about 2 minutes or until it starts to smell super delicious.
5. Add the milk, cream, and parmesan cheese to the skillet. Wisk until combined. In a bowl on the side, mix together the corn starch and one tablespoon of milk. Add to skillet. Wisk all together. Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer. Sauce will start to thicken. Simmer 10 minutes.
6. By this time the chicken and pasta should be close to being done. Remove chicken from the oven when finished and drain the pasta.
7. Start by placing some tortellini on a plate, layer sliced chicken and sauce. Finish with a sprinkle of freshly chopped parsley. This goes great with a salad!
If you make this recipe let me know how you liked it! I hope you enjoy!!